You will be expected to be head of product and engineering at Torre for two to three years. The knowledge you'll gain may then enable you to become:
- Chief Officer (at Torre or outside Torre)
- Leader of a large business unit (at Torre or outside Torre)
- Head of Product Management in a large product and engineering team (at Torre or outside Torre)
- Founder of your own business (outside Torre)
Right after you join, we will agree on your tour of duty, which specifically defines a successful employer-employee partnership: You promise to devote your time and energy to us with the goal of growing Torre; we promise to invest in your personal and professional growth so that when the time comes for you to leave Torre, you'll have the tools, experience, and network to achieve equal success elsewhere.
- You will lead Torre's product and engineering team
- You will be leading around 19 Torrex in the areas of product management, engineering, UX research, and testing
- You will report to the CEO
Of course, as we learn, experiment, and grow, our team structures may change.
At Torre, we believe what we create is as important as how we create it. You will be responsible for the how. You will lead the product and engineering teams across all of our business units with the main goal of making us all more creative, more efficient, and better learners.
To get there, you are likely to be responsible, in turn, for:
- The professional development of product managers, engineers, and UX researchers
- Setting and measuring functional standards to allow them to be more creative and efficient, while becoming better learners
- Keeping a high bus factor
- Defining the organizational structure of functional teams
- Coordinating joint projects among product and engineering teams of different business units
- Coordinating periodic hackathons and business competitions
- Sharing Torre's know-how with the outside world
- Pursuing our mission: Make work fulfilling
- Safeguarding our motto: Always deliver memorable experiences
To accomplish your responsibilities you can count on resources such as functional support on multiple fronts, state-of-the-art equipment, and a generous budget.
- Professionally developing a team of overachievers
- Establishing standards and guidelines that help and don't block the team
- Getting buy-in for ideas that may be unpopular
- Managing a significant amount of technical debt
- Frequently coming across unknowns
- Managing constant change and sudden growth
- Working in a demanding environment
- Giving and receiving candid feedback without either making or taking it personally.
At Torre, we heavily invest in education. We will give you the tools and the time to learn and sharpen these skills:
- Management and leadership
- Product management
- Software engineering
- UX research
- Lean startups
During your first three months at Torre, your onboarding will focus on learning instead of executing. You will read several industry-recognized books, learn about our standards, and shadow other Torrex. Afterwards, you will continue your education by getting candid feedback via our internal braintrusts, attending conferences, and investing a significant amount of your time reading about the state of the art.
We are willing to wait for the best candidates. As such, you may be able to join our team right away or we can wait for several months, if needed.
At Torre, we are all used to working in a distributed fashion. As such, this role is open to professionals anywhere in the Western hemisphere. While you can work from home, you can also work from any co-working space of your choice. We'll pay for it. Alternatively, you can also work from our office in Bogotá.
Depending on your experience, between ~USD$50,000 to ~$85,000 per year or equivalent in your local currency, plus stock options
- Our mission is to make work fulfilling
- Our motto is to always deliver memorable experiences
- We are entrepreneurial
- We make bold bets
- We feel encouraged to make mistakes we can learn from
- We strategize smartly and work hard
- We like data
- Among others, we value people, inquisitiveness, candor, and courage.
- We aim for work/life integration
- Flexible vacation time
- Extended support for your social responsibility project via Torre Social
- Week-long hackathon and business competitions every quarter
- Depending on your country of residence, paid health insurance
- Working alongside a group of entrepreneurial, motivated, diverse, and curious professionals
These are skills that you are likely to need to enjoy and succeed in this role:
Development (of others). You should easily recognize and cultivate the potential in others, spot the signs of each small improvement, and derive satisfaction from these improvements
- Strategy. Creating alternative ways to proceed should be natural for you. Faced with any given scenario, you should always quickly spot relevant patterns and issues
Communication. You should find it easy to put your thoughts into words while being a conversationalist and presenter
Organization. It must come naturally to you to figure out how pieces and resources can be arranged for maximum productivity
Maximization. You should enjoy stimulating personal and group excellence, easily looking to transform something strong into something superb
Inquisitiveness. Not only must you love to learn, but you must also intuitively know how to learn best. You should be able to learn quickly, and when focused, keep your team on the cutting edge
While you will learn multiple hard skills while on the job, you must already have most of these skills:
- Product management
- Software engineering
- UX research
- English (perfect writing, speaking, and listening skills)
- Having led a team
- Having being an entrepreneur
- Having built multiple software products
At Torre, our mission is to make work fulfilling for everyone. We dream of the day when all seven billion humans, no matter their gender, nationality, location, or socioeconomic background, will be able to participate fairly in the global market and make their work fulfilling. Learn more about our mission and our history.
To accomplish this goal, we need movers and shakers who have a fierce determination to accomplish big, hairy, audacious goals. That's why we hire entrepreneurs at Torre. Learn more about building your career at Torre.
Apply without an application
We know the best professionals are busy. As such, we won't ask you to submit an application. Instead, just let us know if you are interested. If we then foresee a potential match, we'll get back to you with any potential questions we may have.
If you are an existing Torrex, contact Alexander Torrenegra internally.
We are ready to answer any questions you may have.