• Varsity Tutors, a fast growing EdTech company backed by TCV, Learn Capital and The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, is looking for builders as we continue to establish and grow huge businesses in the pursuit of our mission to help people learn. • If you have a passion for and deep experience rolling up your sleeves and building, and do so from a customer-focused and data-driven perspective, apply now. If you enjoy dealing with ambiguity and thrive in an environment where speed is a habit, apply now. Come join a team of lifelong doers that have built billion dollar businesses at places like Amazon and Dollar Shave Club. We can’t wait to learn from you. And with you. • Specifically, we’re seeking an experienced General Manager--a wearer of all hats--to lead the growth and evolution of new lines of business from early stages to scaled operations. You will be integral to our goal of bringing the transformational power of our learning platform to more categories and customers. If you believe helping others learn is a noble endeavor, then you can make a difference with this role. • As General Manager you will own the P&L for one or more new lines of business, identify and analyze opportunities, develop and report on KPIs that mark progress and measure customer happiness, and work shoulder to shoulder with marketing, sales, engineering and product development teams to deliver results. • To be successful in our culture, you must value data and be analytical by reflex. You are intrinsically motivated by digging into problems and opportunities, energized by creating order out of ambiguity, and skilled at driving both straightforward and creative solutions that improve the experience for customers and grow the business. And, you like to have fun, build teams, invest in careers and turn culture into a way of operating. • If this sounds intriguing, apply now so we can begin to get to know one another.
• Own and manage a Varsity Tutors business unit, driving operational excellence and growth • Develop, prioritize, and deliver against high-quality business strategies and plans, ensuring their alignment with short- and long-term objectives • Set and manage ambitious revenue and profitability targets supported by operating plans that include monthly, quarterly and annual targets • Analyze a wide range of data to identify opportunities and problems, as well as devise solutions and improvements. • Clearly communicate, including in writing about plans, progress, opportunities, and impediments • Build and nurture a positive, customer-centric team culture, consistent with Varsity Tutors’ mission, vision, culture, and leadership competencies • Maintain a deep knowledge of competitive markets and industry of the company • Build and maintain trust with key partners and stakeholders • Take in new information, adjust plans and recommendations accordingly, and be appropriately obsessive about execution that moves the business forward
• Creativity and ability to develop ideas independently and execute on them with cross-functional teams in a fast-paced, start-up environment • Excellent communication skills, including written, analytical, and verbal. • Ability to operate both strategically and tactically in a high-energy, fast-paced environment • High degree of organization, detail orientation, and ability to manage multiple, competing priorities • Excellent collaboration skills that enable you to earn trust at all levels. • Willingness to roll up your sleeves and do the work when needed, including analysis and narratives that communicate plans, ideas, and opportunities. • Sound business judgment, ability to influence effectively, and willingness to simplify when needed • Established track record of delivering forecasted results within budget • Deep understanding of online marketplace dynamics and experience with marketplace business models
• Bachelor's Degree (Master’s Degree preferred) • 3+ years experience in operational leadership or senior management positions
• Varsity Tutors is revolutionizing how people learn with personalized instruction. We offer a full suite of learning formats, including 1:1 personalized instruction, live classes in small and large formats, and self study. Our award-winning online and mobile learning platforms connect students and professionals from all around the world with personalized instruction. To date, Varsity Tutors has raised $107M in venture funding. The most recent round was a $50M Series C in 2018 led by Learn Capital, with participation from The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative and existing investor TCV. Come join our growing team!
• Varsity Tutors is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. (INDHP)
• Varsity Tutors Leadership Competencies: • Customer Obsession * Bias for Action * Accountability * Stewardship * Think Big * Remove Friction * Gather Data & Use Information * Intellectual Curiosity * Comfort with Ambiguity * Build Teams
What are signals?
Signals are a way of compiling a list of people you’ll consider working with. Others can signal you as well.
By signaling a person or organization you notify them that you’ll consider working with them. Thus:
55% of jobs are filled via referrals 1 . With Signals, Torre makes it easy for you.