• One of General Assembly’s seven work values is “Always bring data to the conversation,” and we are searching for a leader to push this value to the next level. Someone to own and architect our data systems and processes at GA, improving how we leverage data to better serve our learners.
• Leadership & Management. Lead and inspire a global high-performing team of engineers and analysts. Be a mentor and coach, fostering ownership, guiding personal growth, and continually striving to raise the bar on delivery performance and quality. Use your prior experience as a manager to identify gaps, develop team members, and build the team you need to achieve your goals. • Strategy & Planning. Gather a deep understanding of your stakeholders and customers, their problems, as well as our data and business constraints. Be the domain expert for all data solutions and speak crisply to the current and planned functionality. Leverage your technical experience to guide us toward better insights and data tools. Collaborate with business stakeholders and other leaders to develop and own the short and long-term data strategy. Be empathetic to their needs and understand their problems to recommend the most effective solutions. Define a plan that is grounded in solid business cases and that supports our company strategy and roadmap. • Delivery. Ensure initiatives deliver on time and within budget following our Agile and Scrum processes. Work with stakeholders and customers to evangelize and implement large scale changes. Respond to changing circumstances and tight deadlines as priorities evolve. • Budget. Monitor and set your strategy around quality and performance, including fiscal performance. Maintain a budget and staff profile for your domain as part of the larger technology budget and staffing profile.
• Strong proficiency in SQL (Redshift/Postgres preferred). • Proficiency with BI tools such as Looker or Tableau. • Knowledge of data warehousing and ETL/ELT concepts. • Strong communication skills and empathy to understand stakeholder challenges. • Strong organization skills and ability to prioritize competing initiatives. • Experience translating business vision into a company-wide data strategy. • Experience implementing best practices in data security, data governance, and data privacy. • Nice to have: • Experience with predictive modeling, machine learning, natural language processing, or other advanced analytical techniques. • Experience with data tools like Google Analytics, Snowplow, and Survey Monkey. • Knowledge of GDPR and CCPA data requirements. • Strong knowledge of Tableau. • Proficiency with Salesforce.
• Your north-star will be to ensure GA becomes a data-first company. Your focus is to assess the current state of data at GA--what data we collect, how we store and structure it, and how we analyze and consume it--and build a strategy for our business to collect and consume data more effectively. You will partner with stakeholders across functions within our organization, including product, marketing, admissions, and operations. You will need to communicate clearly and empathetically with stakeholders and with your team so you can develop a network of enthusiastic subject matter experts and data advocates to drive data utilization at General Assembly. • Our current data technology stack is Redshift, Python, Looker, Tableau, Salesforce, and an open-source event-based data pipeline. While there are no coding expectations in this role, you must have proven in-depth data engineering and business intelligence experience.
• 8+ years of professional experience in a technical data role, such as data analysis, data engineering, or data science. • 5+ years of professional experience building and managing high-performing data teams.
• Our vision is of a global community of individuals empowered to pursue the work they love. Our mission is to grow that community by transforming millions of thinkers into creators. • Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting. • In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
• You will report directly to the VP of Technology and oversee three teams, Data Engineering, Business Intelligence, and Salesforce. A total of nine members and growing.
• Residents of the following locations: • US: AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, KS, MA, MI, MN, NC, NH, NY, OR, RI, TN, TX, UT, WA, DC, WI, WV, and VA • UK.
What are signals?
Signals are a way of compiling a list of people you’ll consider working with. Others can signal you as well.
By signaling a person or organization you notify them that you’ll consider working with them. Thus:
55% of jobs are filled via referrals 1 . With Signals, Torre makes it easy for you.