What we do
At Civis, we take a science-first approach to solving problems. With a blend of proprietary technology and statistical advisory services, we help public and private sector organizations find, understand and connect with the people they care about, so they can stop guessing and start using mathematical proof to guide decisions. We know others use “data science” and “analytics” as buzzwords, but at Civis we don’t stand for fluff, and we will always deliver scalable products and technologies — not PowerPoints — to drive your business forward.
Our mission is to bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making – all the way from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and all employees are remote for the foreseeable future. This is being closely monitored as things change and it’s likely our offices will reopen. Because of this uncertainty, we want to ensure candidates for this role are open to potentially relocating to one of our offices in the future.
What we are looking for
You’ll work collaboratively with engineers, data scientists, and product managers in a new category of software. You’ll be welcomed by coworkers who focus on function over form and who will value your ability to shape how we present ourselves through great software interfaces.
You will build incredible user experiences and a best-in-class user interface.
Here, you will use wireframes, design specs, and other tools in your design arsenal. You'll be working on a variety of design challenges and will be involved in early stage research, ideation, implementation, and iteration. At Civis, you will get to help shape the future of big data and work with wicked smart and passionate people. You’ll drive constant innovation and great interaction from concept through production.
Join us & help build the first great data science software platform!
- Understand customer problems and business needs across our product and service ecosystem
- Ability to zoom in and out to solve problems at a system, feature, and component level
- Work on multiple cross-cutting projects at one time that meet customer needs, business goals, and increase efficiency of the Product Design team
- Contribute to our vision for the Civis User Experience by creating high-fidelity prototypes that illustrate north star experiences to influence the strategy and design of the product
- Help evolve and simplify our products by conceptualizing original ideas that help our customers get their job done more efficiently with better outcomes
- Overdeliver high quality design to establish exemplary standards for UX output
- Help research, plan, and design the appropriate experiments to test hypotheses about customer value whether that’s concept, usability, or ab testing
- Use a breadth of synthesis tools to communicate insights, opportunities, and to inspire stakeholders
- Apply the latest behavioral design principles and frameworks that activate, engage, and retain users
- Provide feedback to help other Product Designers improve their design decisions, skillset, and output quality
- Guide others in best practices and give insight into new design technologies
- Contribute to and help manage a design system to improve consistency and efficiency of our design and engineering output
- Establish and promote design guidelines, best practices, and standards
- Previous experience designing products for data and marketing organizations
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, HCI, a related subject, or equivalent work experience
- Experience working on a cross-functional product team to collaboratively design holistic user experiences
- Experience creating high-fidelity prototypes using tools such as Figma, Invision, or Sketch
- Experience in practicing a user-centered design approach to B2B software products
- Experience designing and conducting user studies and usability testing
- Demonstrated ability to move between problem framing, conceptual research, and usability testing
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate the impact and effectiveness of experiences you’ve designed
- 7+ years of experience doing Product Design work
- A portfolio of representative work demonstrating the above skills
- US work authorization
- Previous experience bringing a new software product to market
- Experience in data visualization and/or background in scientific/data fields
- Front end development skills
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, fully paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now fully remote work environment, we also have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (5-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-up where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from home schedules to help employees juggle responsibilities at home.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.