• As a Research Manager, you will support a team of UX researchers who partner with a diverse set of Financial Services clients (e.g., Banking, Credit Card, Investment, Digital Payment) as well as clients within the Automotive and Shipping industries. The ideal candidate will be a leader with experience and enthusiasm for qualitative UX research and will partner closely with researchers to ensure they have the resources and capacity to deliver exceptional insights to our clients. In this role, you will also lead strategic conversations with client and internal teams to assess client needs and then pair those needs with a researcher’s skill set. Through a close partnership with AnswerLab’s Strategy team, you will also be involved in account forecasting and planning, client road mapping, project timeline creation, and resourcing. This is a role that has a direct impact on both the success of AnswerLab’s Financial Services accounts as well as the UX Researchers’ long-term career development. • Ideally the Research Manager in this role should be located on the East Coast or willing to work East Coast hours (9am/10am ET - 5pm/6pm ET).
• Leverage existing knowledge, context, and all relationships (internal and external) to navigate challenges by developing creative and effective solutions • Identify efficiencies and opportunities to scale research delivery for maximum profitability • Provide in-the-moment feedback to researchers to support continuous professional development and to ensure consistent performance at all client touch-points. You will lead a team of researchers to provide premier service by: • Ensuring a high standard of program caliber and consistency in all client touch points (e.g., kickoffs, moderation, reporting) via onboarding, maintaining knowledge bases/documentation, and facilitating knowledge shares to new-to-program UXRs • Adhering to AnswerLab’s Core Values and Framework of Empathetic Leadership, which includes: creating capacity for our teams to navigate new challenges, creating and bolstering our own leadership capacity, and being active, empathetic listeners • Providing consistent, individualized support to direct reports via regular 1:1s and performance reviews • Enabling ongoing career development for UXRs through guidance and mentorship • Developing and maintaining cross-functional relationships, both inside AnswerLab and with our clients • Participating in key client and project team meetings (such as project kickoffs and/or report presentations) • Monitoring project status and hours throughout the project lifecycle • Taking an active role in the hiring and onboarding of new research members As a member of the Research Management team, you will contribute to AnswerLab by: • Collaborating with other Research Managers to develop innovative and impactful research solutions that align with our clients’ business needs and are current with UX trends • Evaluating and refining best practices for project delivery and training our research team to execute best-in-class research • Working with account team Research Managers, Strategists, and Research Operations to innovate on the broader account delivery model to support account growth • Serving as a role model to all AnswerLab team members by exemplifying our core values • Contributing to the development and maintenance of the integrity of our research solutions, methodologies, deliverables, and processes • Traveling approximately 25% of the time, when safe to resume. The Research Manager may be expected to travel to an AnswerLab office, client office, or offsite location as needed
• We understand that outstanding candidates come from a variety of backgrounds. While specific experience is important, we are ultimately looking for candidates who have the personal characteristics to thrive in a growing client-focused business. The ideal candidate will likely meet many or most of the job criteria listed below. • Self-starter and self-motivated, with the ability to work autonomously and lead a team of researchers with minimal supervision in a high-volume, client-driven business • Thrives in a fast-paced, growth-oriented, and time-critical environment • Superior organizational skills, keen attention to detail, and demonstrated commitment to the accuracy and completeness of information • Responsive with commitment to follow-through on requests • Ability to build trust quickly and effectively across a variety of relationships (e.g., stakeholders, direct reports, cross-functional roles) • Excellent written and verbal communication skills and well-developed interpersonal skills • Ability to engage with senior-level business managers, executives, and research managers in Fortune 500 companies • Experience leading consulting engagements with clients -- either in research specifically or with a management consulting firm that uses analytical data to support conclusions • Well-versed in multiple research methodologies, such as 1:1 usability studies - both in-person and remote, ethnography, contextual interviews, innovation and co-design workshops, journey mapping, eye-tracking, unmoderated usability, focus groups, card sorting, persona development, surveys, site-intercept, and other user testing techniques • Experience crafting and evaluating discussion guides, screeners, test protocols, and final reports • Clear, concise, and engaging presentation skills, including building presentations and presenting results and recommendations to clients • Experience and demonstrated proficiency in a variety of software, and web technologies (Salesforce, Office 365, Google Workspace, Slack, Box, etc.)
• You will impact our clients’ business by: • Building and facilitating strong partnerships with clients to ensure alignment of needs and identify areas of opportunity for an improved experience, both for researchers and our clients • Contributing to ongoing thought leadership on current topics and trends in UX and within the account team/client industry • Developing and applying strategic knowledge of the account team/client industry by leveraging learnings across research projects • Communicating with a broad range of clients from designers to C-suite executives • Helping to design research solutions and identify new research opportunities
• 5+ years professional experience leading Qualitative UX Research in a client-facing environment • 2+ years of professional experience managing a team of 5-7 researchers • Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Statistics, Economics, Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field preferred
• AnswerLab delivers customer insights that help the world’s leading brands create experiences people love. We focus exclusively on user experience research to understand what people see, do, think, and feel when using voice interfaces, AR/VR, websites, mobile applications, wearables, and other digital products. • Through thousands of research engagements, we build strategic partnerships that help clients scale their UX impact year over year. To answer your toughest research questions, we employ a mix of techniques, methodologies, and best practices tailored to provide clear, actionable recommendations that generate strategic business results. • AnswerLab brings the voice of the user to the conversation, giving you the insights you need to create digital products and services that increase engagement, reduce development costs, drive conversion, and turn your user experience into a business asset.
• At AnswerLab, our mission is to create experiences people love. This means we strive to make our company a great place to work for people from all walks of life. Hiring people from a wide variety of backgrounds makes our company stronger and helps us achieve our mission. • We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. AnswerLab Core Values: • Build trust • Provide amazing service • Support and encourage inclusivity • Jump in to help others • Handle change with flexibility • Innovate our products and processes • Figure it out and get it done • Make AnswerLab a great place to work
• Reports to a Research Director • Manages multiple researchers of varying experience levels • Works closely with strategists, researchers, project managers, and designers within established account teams • Works closely with other Research Management and Operations team members, including project managers, design, IT, and marketing
• Note: This job description is subject to change at any time.
What are signals?
Signals are a way of compiling a list of people you’ll consider working with. Others can signal you as well.
By signaling a person or organization you notify them that you’ll consider working with them. Thus:
55% of jobs are filled via referrals 1 . With Signals, Torre makes it easy for you.