What language do you want to use Torre in?
• Join the Search and Data Services team at Help Scout! Your work on this team will power critical search capabilities that our customers depend on every day. You’d manage large, frequently changing data-sets with thousands of transactions per second! • Our ideal candidate takes pride in building coherent and usable interfaces, choosing the right tools for the job and creating elegant, scalable solutions. Your work as an experienced JVM Engineer will empower over 10,000 businesses around the world to provide excellent customer service and will support the other senior engineers on your team. • We leverage Ignite, Solr and Lucene for several tools at Help Scout, but knowledge or even expertise in these tools is not required. It is a nice bonus, though.
• Engineering at Help Scout is about 50 people, around half of the company, and you will join our Search and Data Services team. You'll collaborate on the next generation of our large-scale search and reporting service and associated infrastructure. • On a daily basis, you'll work on adding new functionality, improving existing code, and API endpoints while maintaining focus on scalability, testing and documentation. • You will play a key role in our journey towards a more holistic adoption of DevOps practices. • We currently index millions of search and report events every day, and at peak hours, our API handles tens of thousands of transactions a minute. You will play a key role in evolving our services to handle 10x that. • You will collaborate with the team on building a streaming data reports pipeline, reworking how we index data and retrieve data to scale while controlling infrastructure costs, and significantly improving our search relevancy and customer-facing reporting capabilities. • On a daily basis, you'll work on new functionality, and be involved in the decisions made regarding implementation, testing, and backlog prioritization. You will collaborate with the rest of the engineering team through code reviews and participate in making architectural decisions. • Our teams are organized around Lean Flow, data-informed, and human-centered design with shared mission to build delightful software that solves our customers greatest needs. • We communicate mostly via Slack and leverage Zoom for occasional meetings. • Your team performs engineering support when a question can't be answered by our in-house support team and passes triage. We'll get you up-to-speed with engineering support so you can help our customers and improve the product along the way. • We are committed to creating and maintaining an excellent customer experience. We expect you to have a keen sense of how your code will impact the experience in terms of performance, security and usability. • You’ll be working with people that challenge you to grow every day, including leaders in Design and Product. The founders and leadership team are technical and committed to creating a magical experience for our customers.
• You became an engineer because you like writing software that helps people. Your code is not only a pleasure for customers to use, but for other engineers to read and understand easily. • You are a great communicator and have an excellent command of written and spoken English. As a remote company, we rely on clear communication for collaboration and execution. • You are a skilled and passionate engineer who is friendly, collaborative, and supportive. • You take ownership of your creation seriously and actively participate in each step of the development lifecycle. • You understand the need to balance business and customer needs with agile delivery of tightly scoped, scalable code that stands the test of time. • You bring a level of Java-specific expertise that will help us craft an outstanding experience for customers and fellow developers. You enjoy working with the JVM and will be comfortable using or learning Kotlin. • You are no stranger to build and deployment automation. • Your typical production readiness checklist covers things like redundancy, resiliency, monitoring, alerting and logging. • You value giving and receiving feedback just as much as we do. You see it as an opportunity for personal and career growth. • You consider how your work impacts others and demonstrate thoughtful, flexible approaches to mentoring and guiding technical decisions. • In order to ensure enough team overlap, you are located anywhere between Mountain Time and Central European Time zones.
• Help Scout is made by roughly 110 people in 80+ cities around the world, all with a passion for helping others. We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences. Help Scout launched in 2011 and today we have more than 10,000 paying customers in 140+ countries.
• We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We have read the studies and understand that diverse teams build better products, bring more perspective to the table, contribute to a company’s financial success and help foster a more inclusive environment for all employees, but the bottom line is that it's the right thing to do.
What are signals?
Signals are a way of compiling a list of people you’ll consider working with. Others can signal you as well.
By signaling a person or organization you notify them that you’ll consider working with them. Thus:
55% of jobs are filled via referrals 1 . With Signals, Torre makes it easy for you.